Thursday, February 15, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!


Dear Friends and Family:

Thanks for checking-in with us for an update... First, a few words about the photo... Muggs suggested we take it (just for fun) because the glasses matched her outfit so well. I recently found a source for some pretty funky reading glasses, so I bought the pair I'm wearing in the picture. A few of the kids are "totally embarrassed" when I wear them, so naturally, I wear them just because it bugs them - all in good family fun of course!

Muggs had her third round of chemotherapy today. The girls accompanied us to the doctor for the office portion of the visit. They decorated some cookies for Valentine's Day today, so they took them to share with the doctor and staff. We also wanted the girls to see the office and have a chance to see what happens when Muggs goes to the doctor.

We met with the oncologist before she started chemotherapy and learned of a new drug that she wants to add to to Muggs' treatment. The drug, Avastin, has been used to treat colon cancer for some time, but was recently approved by the FDA for first-line treatment of lung cancer. Avastin is different from the chemotherapy regimen in that it is a "targeted therapy" designed to retard or stop blood vessel growth to the tumor. As we understand it, a tumor sends out signals to nearby blood vessels. These signals cause new blood vessels to grow toward the tumor. Once these new vessels reach the tumor, they provide the supply of blood that provides oxygen and other nutrients to the tumor, helping the tumor grow.

We are discovering that treatment involves both science and art. The doctor and nursing staff have been diligently trying go make the experience more comfortable and manageable for Muggs. I think I mentioned before that the doctor wants to get ahead of the dehydration that has caused so much difficulty. So, this Friday, she will go in for fluids before the weekend, hopefully avoiding the severe dehydration that she had before. They will also administer the Avastin during this visit.

I'll close for now, and will keep you posted on how Muggs is doing over the next few days. Before closing, I want to again express our profound gratitude for your care for us. You are ministering life to us in so many ways. So many of you are praying for us, and take time to encourage us by letting us know that you are. Daily, we are reminded of God's specific, intentional care for us - as expressed through you. And, we pray for you daily as well, as our hearts are filled with deep gratitude for your kindness, and the sacrifices so many of you have made for us. Every meal, phone call, note of encouragement, or gift, represents a sacrifice on your behalf, and we are humbled by this.

For the Family,

Andy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Thursday morning! Rod and I prayed for you guys yesterday and talked about you as we were on our Valentines' date:) Andy, my friend, you have never looked better. Funky reading glasses suit you well.. I do have to tell you, though, that when I opened the blog this morning, I got pretty tickled.
I've got to share with you something that the Lord showed me this morning. I was reading John 15:6-7 about remaining in Him. I was "chewing on" what that means and decided to read the same passage in The Message. I fell head over heels in love with the wording and the immediate cozy visual that I got as I read. It says "But if you make yourselves AT HOME with Me and My Words are AT HOME in you, the you can be SURE that whatever you ask will be listened to." For me, it was a whole new perspective, a whole new visual, a whole new sense of what remaining and abiding in Him means. My prayer is that today as you live out another day in this season, you will be at home in Him and His words will be so real, so warm, so inviting, so sure and so safe to you that they will be at home in you.
Our love to you. We will talk to you this weekend.
Rod and Lisa

Anonymous said...

It is so interesting to read what you're learning of the inner workings of our bodies. Indeed we are "fearfully and wonderfully made".
Whether it be art, science, Avastin, etc, or all things combined.......
I am believing that God will mercifully heal Muggs of this cancer.
(Is that confidence foolish or faith? I have no idea, but I'm counting on the latter!)
Thank you for continuing to update. We will continue to lift your names before the Father.

Paul Cassarino said...

My thoughts are with you, Muggs. I graduated from EHS with Dave in '78 and just learned of your ordeal. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Draw strength from the love that surrounds you.

Anonymous said...

WELL.......That is a neat pic....
You'll look very happy, at peace,
and like two very intelligent and
educated professionals. So, tell
your kids to salute ya...not snicker at the glasses, Pop. Muggs looks great!!!! In prayer
and praise.....cindy c AND THANKS!! God is with you both.
You can see God's glory all over both of you......

Anonymous said...

Oh to see you two, smiling and full of God's love and good humor - to hear/read the blessed news of answered prayer - How Great is our God!

Thank you for this blog and for your honesty and example of faithfulness.

God's hornets are working and the enemy is in retreat!

much love and many prayers to you from us a few houses down :)
Teresa Cook

Liz said...

Thinking of you and praying for fresh grace for your chemo. You are half way through, Muggs! :-) Much grace to you this weekend. Get lots of rest!
Love,
Liz

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Muggs! I graduated with Dave in '78 and remember you so well! I lost my beloved husband Joe of 24 years to Kidney cancer in November.
Never, ever give up hope. For it is hope that keeps us going. Cherish each day and remember to take one day at a time.
My best for your continued recovery,
Vicki Rotondo Martuscello

Anonymous said...

You two look fantastic, and really Andy, we love the glasses! he-he
And Muggs, that hat is WAY too cute!
I am especially glad to hear of the doctors giving the fluids prior. What an excellent idea. I will pray that this helps greatly in speeding the recovery after treatment. May God bless you and keep you!
Love,
Steve & Donna~