Monday, June 25, 2007

Welcome Home Mommy



The sign on the garage door was crafted in love by our children and several of their friends on May 23rd - two days after Muggs went into the hospital for the severe headaches and seizure she experienced on Sunday evening. The sign hung there on the garage door in anticipation of her return - but it wasn't to be... She did receive a "Welcome Home", only this "Welcome Home" was from her Savior. One of the children took the sign down after a few days - I often wonder whether or not they sensed that she would not be coming home - at least to our home. I wept this morning as gazed at the sign. I wept over the dashed hopes of my children, and over the enormity of the loss, and how heavily it weighs on our hearts. Sometimes the grief is suffocating - as if I can hardly breathe. Other times, I sit in bewilderment, finding it ever so difficult to comprehend the permanence of our loss - from an earthly perspective.

That Sunday will forever be etched into my memory. On this particular evening, I went to the grocery store near our home to pick-up a few items for dinner. Muggs had been sleeping for most of the afternoon. When I checked on her upon my return, she was still in the bed and didn't feel like eating. For some reason, she decided to take a shower. My mom, the children and I were having dinner when I heard her call for me. I knew from the sound of her voice that she needed help. When I reached her, she was seated on the floor of the shower. "I think I fell" she said. I could tell that her speech wasn't normal, and that the left side of her mouth was "drooping". We asked her to raise both arms over her head - she did, but had difficulty with her left arm. It was evident that she had experienced a seizure or perhaps even a stroke. I remember thinking: "Oh, God - what is happening to us?" I asked my mom to call 911, while I got Muggs to the bedroom, and got her dressed. By the time I managed to get her clothed, the condition that caused the weakness had resolved.

Aaron Anderson, one of our pastors met me at the hospital. Shortly afterwards, another pastor, John Butler and my friend Scott Hollis arrived to be with us. By this time, Muggs said that she felt better than she had in two weeks. Her headache was completely gone, and she was ready to leave the hospital. But, they admitted her for the evening for observation. Surely, we would be leaving in the morning... To be continued ...

Closing Thoughts and Future Postings

First of all, thank you so very much for your patience in waiting for his posting. I have had neither the will, nor the presence of mind to post before now. I am utterly amazed that you would still visit the blog. I think that I can better manage the blog if I can write small sections at a time - so that is what I am going to attempt to do. I think this will also shorten the cycle time between postings. I am still trying to organize my thoughts around what I want to say, and just what I should include. I do want to recount some of the last few weeks, as well as review God's faithfulness during our battle. I know that many of you want to know how we're doing, and I plan to include that as well. There is just so very much to say. Sometimes the emotions are very raw, and sometimes were are numb - but at all times, we are walking in the good of what God has done for us, and are thankful that we experiencing the sustaining grace of God. We know that He is "near to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit" (Ps 34:18) Our souls are being enlarged as we walk this road of suffering. We are eager for God to meet us, as he has. Please check back soon for a continuation of the "Welcome Home Mommy" posting. I hope to post at least 2 more times this week.

Thanks so much for praying for us - for keeping us before the Father. We need Him, and we need you!

For the family,

Andy

23 comments:

Tammy said...

I am praying that God will continue to make Himself real and very near to each of you. May He be everything you need during this time of such loss. You are in the prayers of so many and may you feel the strength of those "standing in the gap" for you even now!

Anonymous said...

The LORD just promted me to check the blog, and there was your posting. I have just finished reading about Hannah for a "women of the bible" study and the last thoughts were about how Hannah (and we children of God)respond to and "cope with" barrenness. One of the thoughts struck me so deeply and I pray that it helps you as well. The thought was that first of all God never abandons us to barrenness (a dry and barren "place", a wilderness, a place of deep sorrow), next came our response - either bitterness or brokenness - at first I thought those didn't seem like they were too different, but of course, it is from our brokenness that God can work, can heal us, can bless us, can use us. Andy it is clear that you have chosen the right and narrow path - you are humble before God and I pray that you will continue to trust that He knows what you need and when you need it and that you will so strongly feel his presence and will working in your life. We pray for you to feel the strength of the Spirit to carry you through the barren land, when you have no strength, no voice, of your own. When you are weak, He is strong. The scripture focus for this part of the study is from Isa 61: 1b, 2b, 3 and 2 Cor 1:3 and Lament 3:19-24 - Our Lord that provides for those who greive, that will bring beauty from ashes, the God of all comfort, whose compassions never fail; they are new every morning!

Thanks you so much for your postings - I pray that they would minister to your heart and soul as much as they do to ours.

in Christ's love
Teresa Cook

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to your posts. I can't tell you how many times a day that I think of Muggs. Sometimes it's a funny thought which brings a smile and sometimes it's a sadness that is so strong that it is hard to breath for a while. I miss her so much but know once we are in heaven we'll look back and realize it was but a second since we had last met. Your family is in my prayers daily if not every few minutes.

Anonymous said...

We're still praying for you guys.

The Miracles

Anonymous said...

There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of you and your precious family. I cannot begin to fathom your sense of loss and I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better. The daily struggle will be tough for some time to come but I take great comfort in knowing that your clinging to your faith in the Lord and each other and that you are surrounded by a great host of caring people. I really wish there was something I could do besides pray for you and wish you the best so if you think of something let me know my brother. We've known each other for almost 30 years and you know that I am always available to you anytime day or night. I love you buddy, Craig

Anonymous said...

We're praying for all of you every day! Take your time, and only post if and when you feel up to it. You have so many decisions to make, in addition to just grieving your loss; we will be with you every step, both in prayer, and with help.

Anonymous said...

Andy ~ We're weeping with you as we look at the "Welcome Home Mommy" sign...how incredibly sad and yet, your unwavering faith shines through by stating that our Savior "welcomed Muggs home," and for this, we Praise Jesus.

Thank you for sharing your honest emotions, thoughts and fears Andy. We're praying for you and the children, as you mourn precious Muggs, for God's strength and comfort. We love you. In His grip,

Danny & LaGena

Sara said...

Thank you so much for posting Andy. We miss muggs and her infections smile and servants heart. We are praying for you all daily and for God's nearness and comfort. We love you guys and will continue to check in. Thank you again for posting.

Aaron and Sara

Anonymous said...

Andy and chilren, I think of you each and every day....we are here for you.

With love,

Jenel

Anonymous said...

I continue to be both amazed as well as encouraged by your postings. I have thought of you and the kids often and pray for
the Lord to continue His faithful work through your loss.

I know that you have heard this many times over the past several months, however I don't think that it can be said enough. God Loves and care's for you and the children. I believe that he would have us all look at these difficult times in our lives as he does. I recognize the difficulty in this and have yet to be tested as you have. My prayer for you, your children, and God's people in general is that we will all acquire and maintian a right persepctive of just who He is and how wonderful His love toward us really is. It has been said, and I believe it to be so true, that a man's attitude and perspective is a direct reflection of how he see's God.

I have found the word's to that great worship song to be so true.
"Turn your eye's upon Jesus and look full in His wonderful face, and the things of this earth will go strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace".

So, I ask our Lord to bless you and keep you and that He will make His face to shine upon you and give you strength.

In Christ alone,

Tim Wardell

Anonymous said...

Andy,

We think of you and pray for you and the children so often.... Our hearts grieve with you, and yet are so grateful at the same time to know that Muggs is with the Lord! That brings so much comfort in our grief.
We love you and your whole family, and would love to see you sometime if that would work out.
Love and prayers, Gene and Liz and children

Anonymous said...

Hello Andy...I think of you and your family often. I continue to lift each of you up to the Lord by name and ask Him to meet your individual needs. You post when you feel up to it. We are here for you regardless.

Matthew

Anonymous said...

Andy,
We think of you and the kids often, and continue to pray for you guys.
Thanks for the posting --
Johnny and Monica Rey

Katie Virginia said...

One of my very first thoughts after Muggs went home to the Lord, was hoping that she would be getting to meet my cherished friend Libby and her baby. From what I was able to know of Muggs and witness of her life, they are very similar.

Below is a copy of my "life verse". My favorite part is, "though now for a little while"... I like to mediate on that and try to grasp - even though I really cannot - the reality that our life here is so short compared to what eternity will be. When I'm most discouraged and most sad, i find hope in knowing it's only for a little while.

1 Peter 1:3-10
3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 5who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 6In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, 7so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 8Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, 9obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

I love you all! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Anonymous said...

Still praying for you all each and every day. Dear Father, please give Andy the patience, strength and wisdom he needs at the very moments he needs them. Give him laughter when he least expects it. Bring joy and hope from unexpected places for him and the kids. Clothe them with the knowledge that You are the definition of love. Please allow them to experience You even in the midst of sadness. Let them bring their despair to You and cry out to You as You bring healing, a little at a time. Cover them with Your peace, Prince of Peace. In Jesus' name. Oby & Julie

Anonymous said...

There is a heart ever present in this story and it is the Lord's heart.
Through part one of the story, I kept seeing the Cross. In this part two of the story,I am seeing God's heart.
I guess in part three we will see God's faithfulness, but the one common thread woven throughout this entire story is.......God's character. I am encouraged. Cindy C.

Anonymous said...

Andy and kids,
Your photos are on our fridge and you all are on our hearts, still!
With all our love and prayers from Richmond,
The Fernandez Family

Amanda said...

Hola from Mexico!
On my plane ride over here, I was reading John Piper's book "Desiring God" and came across a passage that brought tears to my eyes and you all to my mind. I hope it encourages you as it did me!

"When God looks at a painful...event through His narrow lens, He sees the tragedy...for what it is in itself and is angered and grieved. 'I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, says the Lord God' (Ezekiel 18:32). But when God looks at a painful...event through His wide lens, He sees the tragedy...in relation to everything leading up to it and everything flowing out from it. He sees it in relation to all the connections and effects that form a pattern or mosaic stretching into eternity. This mosaic in all its parts-both good and evil-brings Him delight."

How good it is to know that the Lord sees beauty in our pain because He knows that His purpose is our good and His glory!

Love you all!

Amanda

Hannah Elisabeth said...

Mr. Ellise- You are such an encouragement to me...I have carried your family so deeply on my heart this last half a year and I am continuely amazed at how much YOU bless others through this time. I have often wondered and had questions about this but God has showed me alot through your family and through Mrs. Ellise. Just know I am praying for you and your family and that I have been blessed by your faith. God has used you and Chandler to really bless me and teach me so many things...I am greatful for you guys. If there's something we can do still please have Chandler let me know. Praying for you all!
Chandler- just letting you know that I love you kid...you amaze me. I'm praying for you bud!

John and Carol White said...

We're continuing to pray for you, Andy, and for each of the children. You are on our hearts so much!! I pray for the Holy Spirit to comfort your hearts, and for you to have the freedom to pour your heart out to the Lord. Spurgeon says, "Turn your heart upside down and pour out every last drop. For the Lord is your refuge." God cares for you ... We love you all! - Carol, for the 5 Richmond Whites -

The Brown Family said...

How are you doing Andy? I am praying for you this morning.

Bless you- Gisele for the family

Anonymous said...

Andy,
Steve & I just wanted you to know that we are still thinking of and praying for you. My dad is having vascular surgery in a few weeks. I plan to fly down. I would love to give your sweet girls a hug.
Steve & Donna

Jenn said...

We love all of you and carry you on our hearts. Though our hearts break for you, we are humbled to observe His sustaining grace in your lives.
May the Lord bless you and keep you. May He cause His face to shine upon you and give you peace.

With Love and Prayers,

All the Rogers